Sunday, January 10, 2010

Friends Forever...




For me, life withing the walls of Tioga High School was, in a word...confusing.

I always struggled with how I looked;

How I dressed;

If people liked me...

If HE liked me...

How I was perceived.

To the point that I kept within my group of friends and did NOT venture out of the circle.

Those people knew me, loved me, accepted me...

And, I had nothing to explain.

Funny thing about being 16...

You feel as though the world is plotting against you.

Funnier thing about being 43...

You realize the world could have cared less.

Seriously...

There are bigger problems to solve.

And, people, I had resolved myself long ago that high school was a self-induced nightmare that was better left behind by me.

Never, did I EVER attend a reunion.

Ever.

Although, I'd get reports back and WISH I had been there.

And, in this electronic age in which we live...

And, I MAY add, this electonic age that allows me to make a living...

Things began to change.

A year or more ago, I joined Facebook.

I didn't want to, but everyone else seemed to be there, and, well, not to be left out, I followed suit.

IMMEDIATELY, that damned search engine found me...

Suggesting, "You both went to Tioga High School and graduated in 1984. Add as friend."

And, I ignored them.

The Class of 1984 owed me nothing but a diploma, and I had that.

One day; however, the name of a girl that I really, really liked back in the day showed up...

She had gone on to marry another of my classmates that I really liked, so I clicked "Add as Friend"...

The dreaded button...

I had done it...

There was no turning back.

And, wonder of all wonders, the next day, my wall read:

Pam and TFC are now friends.

Shit.

What to do now? Do I acknowledge? Do I let it pass? Do I act like I care?

So, I choose to write, "'Sup, Tracy? Long time, no see," on her wall.

And, from there, I continued to reunite with the Tioga High School graduating class of 1984.

Funny.

I was talking to a friend of mine today about the amount of friends I have on my Facebook, and I told him, "Some are there by simple osmosis. Many of them are there because we went to school together."

I went on to tell him how it is that I look forward to reading status messages...

Wall posts...

Even stupid quizzes...

Posted by my beloved class of 1984.

I told him of my old high school friend, M, who, ironically enough, ended up living behind my parents...

Many, many, MANY times...

It was her family that helped my dad off the ground after a fall.

Typing that out just now made me tear up.

Thanks, M. Thanks for caring for my dad. You will NEVER know what that means to me.

EVER...

But, I promise you this...

If I can ever return that favor, sister, I will...

You let me know...

I'm there.

So, to the Class of 1984, I salute you...

Matt evolved into race car driver.

What?

Tracy evolved into nurse...

Todd evolved into, apparently, party animal....(NEVER saw THAT coming!)

Micki evolved into The Deer Hunter...

Mark's in Arkansas now...

Sherry is Supermom...

Roland LOVES the Facebook apps...

Dewitt didn't graduate with us, but he LIVES in Mardi Gras get-up!

And, guys, just in case you ever wonder, Pam turned out just fine...

She's alive and well...

And, within her heart, she carries you all.

I LOVE being 43.

Because, at 43, you realize what is really important...

It is with those that you can claim to be...

Friends forever.

LOVE MORE IN 84, PEOPLE!!!

And, I do love you...

We are friends forever.

4 comments:

  1. I graduated in 1984 too. It's amazing to see the different paths friends have taken. Happy Sunday Pam, this was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how it is that it really doesn't matter to you until it MATTERS, right?

    1984 will live FOREVER in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the reconnections that Facebook has allowed us to make. Great tribute to that, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you BELIEVE how, years ago, we couldn't even fathom the technology that would connect us today? Caroline, I WORK in that world, but when applied to basic life, I stand AMAZED!

    ReplyDelete