Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sweet Music Man...







I watched on the sidelines as he and his friend began their "show".

One "fighting" the other for his "spot" on the street.

The one pictured, at long last, "won" the argument, and the other went on his way.

My friend looked at him as the "fight" began and commented, "There's no way that guy is about to play an instrument."

We wandered on into the store we were walking to, the men outside a distant memory.

Somewhere between the handmade masks, I realized the most beautiful guitar music I'd ever heard had begun just outside the door.

I walked to it and peered outside to see the most humbling sight I had seen since entering the French Quarter...

No doubt, he was homeless...

No doubt, he was poor...

But, he had friends...

Friends that were willing to cause a ruckus to help him get started.

And, get started, he did.

My friend was entranced with peacock feathers and Mardi Gras masks and wanting my help in choosing just the right mask.

As much as I wanted to help him, to me, the REAL show was going on just outside the door.

Although the sun was shining, it was cold.

I couldn't help but wonder where he would sleep tonight.

Did he have food?

Did he have shelter?

And, lastly, did he have family?

I took a dollar from my purse and walked down the street to where he was.

I bent beside him and dropped the dollar in.

He looked at me and I looked at him.

In the most sincere tone I'd heard in weeks, he told me, "God bless you."

I smiled at him.

"God bless you, too, friend. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas, friend," he replied back.

I wondered how long it had been since he realized he TRULY had a friend?

I could only hope he realized it that very second.

I could see his friends, on the street...

Watching him.

His friends BELIEVED in him.

The rest of the world may not, but those few that stood around BELIEVED.

I did, too.

Even now, I still believe.

To the world, he may be a homeless guy on the street pan-handling for a dollar with his guitar...

But, to his friends...

And, to me...

He was a PERFORMER.

Earning an HONEST living.

Making people, like me, if only for that second, smile.

Yes.

Sing your song, sweet music man...

Sing on and on and on.

1 comment:

  1. As I always do, I loved this Pam.

    So often people discount those they see on the street to be nothing - but you have always been one to see the something. That's one of the many things I love about you.

    Great song choice. Waylon Jennings has been the light that guided me through many difficult times in my life.

    ReplyDelete