Monday, August 16, 2010

Living Inside...

"Our fingerprints never fade from the lives we touch."

- From the movie "Remember Me"

This quote jumped off the television screen, planting itself in my brain, moving me to a higher level of self-examination. I searched in ernest for proper credit, and after finding none, realized this golden nugget must be the gift of a screen writer somewhere in this world that didn't, nor will they ever, get the recognition warranted for revealing, what I believed to be, the most important lesson any of us could learn in life.

The last couple weeks have found me taking a closer look inward, maybe even on a more intense level than ever before. Those of you who've been on this journey of self-discovery with me over the last five years will understand the magnitude of that statement.

This time...

It's different.

No more am I beating myself up for the choices I either made or failed to make...

I don't regret my life well-lived...

Nor the people I have loved...

Nor the ones I have let go.

No, friends, today, I am pleased with me.

I am where I need to be and doing the things I need to do.

There's a satisfaction in living life simple and being happy with where you are...

Struggling to understand, and one day, as if by magic, realizing that you've had the answers all along.

In one defining moment...

One look...

One tiny little look at someone across a room...

Looking at them looking at someone you love...

With whom they have no connection except that they are part of you...

When you realize that you are alright.

That the journey may have been long...

There may have been tears...

There may have been troubles...

But it all led you today.

And, today is perfect.

One look, and that fingerprint is there.

It could be taken away tomorrow...

But that print is there now, and will never fade.

It's living inside.

5 comments:

  1. Being happy with who you are is easy if we just let go of all the hype that we are led to believe and just focus on what and who is important....and then cherishing it.....When we cherish something it will be there when we really need it. My dog died 6 weeks ago and I so cherished his last days. At night he would lie against me in bed and even though I couldn't sleep, I cherished that touch. Now when I wake in the night I can still feel his presence......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was driving alone one day, no where in particular, just listening to music and enjoying the ride - and it hit me, I am truly happy. Not because life was perfect, it still isn't, but it was just that I stopped worrying so much about my imperfect life. I stopped worrying that I wasn't pleasing everyone. By just driving my little ole crappy car around, destination unknown, I had figured out life's little secret. Enjoy what you have and appreciate the people you enjoy it with. Life changes too damn fast. =)

    Great blog Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Struggling to understand, and one day, as if by magic, realizing that you've had the answers all along."

    We've walked a similar path over the last few years. So, I know the significance of that one sentence... Good for you, Ms. Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and a word in due time. All good.

    ReplyDelete